EIG payments near half a billion
By Hilary Mare
SINCE the opening of the sms line for the Emergency Income Grant (EIG) on April 14, a total of 970 720 applications have been made with 576 104 applicants already approved for payment to the tune of N$432 078 million, the Finance Ministry has said.
Tonateni Shidhudhu, Chief Public Relations Officer in the Ministry of Finance this week said that the remaining payments for approved applicants are in the process of disbursement.
“A large number of applicants were rejected for various reasons that included ID numbers belonging to the deceased persons, mismatch of names and ID numbers with official records, names found in NSFAF record of active recipients, social grant records and the taxpayers register,” he said.
The majority of the rejected applicants are those with the names not matching with those in the records of the Ministry of Home Affairs, totalling 127 696, followed by those rejected on the basis of appearing on the taxpayers register totalling at 124 623 applications.
“Some applications were put on hold because more than two applicants have indicated to receive their grants on the same mobile number. Other applications put on hold are those where one ID number is used in more than one application,” Shidhudhu said.
He added that the Ministry appeals to all applicants who were rejected on the basis of appearing on the taxpayers’ register to remain patient as the Ministry is carrying out a data reconciliation process.
“Once finalised, such applicants will be notified on the status of their applications. These applicants are advised to remain home, while this temporary problem is being resolved.
“In the case of more than two applicants who have used one cell phone to apply or to be paid, the modalities for self-verification will be communicated to the applicants as to how such verification could be made so that large gatherings are avoided,” added Shidhudhu.
Close to 120 000 applicants that were approved for payment towards the end of last week are expected to continue receiving their grants between this week.
“Although the Ministry of Finance has set May 2020 as the due date for verification, applicants are informed not to panic as no applicant will be left out without being considered. The verification and data reconciliations are a tedious process that will require time as the Ministry wants to ensure that the grant goes to the right people and also that it does not go to the wrong people. We would therefore like to request for patience and understanding in this regard,” he said.