No League breaks during FIFA World Cup
• By Michael Uugwanga
NAMBIA Football Association (NFA) Secretary-General, Jochen Traut said the just started Debmarine Namibia Premiership will not go into a break during the FIFA World Cup in Qatar, with the local leagues only expected to go into a recess on December 10 until next year January.
Traut said this when asked by Confidente this week ahead of the 2022 FIFA World Cup that starts on November 20 where host country Qatar will take on South American team, Ecuador in the opening match.
The 2022/2023 Debmarine Namibia Premiership (top tier league) begun on November 05 where African Stars defeated University of Namibia (Unam) before the second round and third round matches were played this past weekend, while the next rounds of matches are expected to take place this weekend (November 19-20).
First divisions matches are also expected to start this weekend, while second divisions will only start on November 26 and women football next year January.
Namibia did not have a fully-fledged football season since the 2018/2019 season due to football turmoil that dragged on over the last three years, although last year, NFA hosted a transitional league for top tier teams, as well as first division and second division, except women football, which ended premature due to lack of funds.
Sponsored by Debmarine Namibia to the tune of N$13 million for one season, both parties, (Debmarine Namibia and NFA) are yet to discuss beyond the current season to which NFA has confirmed to Confidente Sports they are already engaging other potential sponsors.
Due to Qatar’s intense summer heat and humidity, this year’s World Cup is being held between November and December, making it the first tournament not to be held between June and July June.
FOR MORE GRAB A COPY OF THE NEWSPAPER